Pahalgam is a beautiful town located in the Anantnag district of the Indian union territory of Jammu and Kashmir. It is situated about 95 kilometers (59 miles) from the capital city of Srinagar and is often referred to as the “Valley of Shepherds.”
The town is nestled in the pristine Lidder Valley and is surrounded by snow-capped mountains, lush green meadows, and dense pine forests. Pahalgam’s natural beauty and pleasant climate make it a popular tourist destination, attracting visitors from all over the world.
Here are some key attractions and activities in Pahalgam:
- Betaab Valley: This scenic valley is named after the Bollywood movie “Betaab,” which was shot here. It offers breathtaking views of snow-capped peaks, crystal-clear streams, and lush greenery.
- Aru Valley: Located about 12 kilometers from Pahalgam, Aru Valley is a picturesque meadow surrounded by snow-capped peaks. It’s an ideal spot for nature walks and horse riding.
- Chandanwari: Known as the starting point for the annual Amarnath Yatra pilgrimage, Chandanwari is a beautiful place surrounded by snow-clad mountains.
- Lidder River: The Lidder River flows through Pahalgam, providing opportunities for trout fishing and enjoying leisurely strolls along its banks.
- Baisaran: Also known as “Mini Switzerland,” Baisaran is a lush meadow surrounded by dense forests and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains.
- Trekking and Adventure: Pahalgam is a hub for trekking enthusiasts and adventure seekers. Popular treks from Pahalgam include the Kolahoi Glacier trek, Tarsar Marsar trek, and many more.
- Sheshnag Lake: Located at a higher altitude, Sheshnag Lake is known for its pristine blue waters and is a popular camping site for trekkers.
- Golfing: Pahalgam has a beautiful golf course that offers golfing opportunities amidst stunning natural scenery.
The best time to visit Pahalgam is during the summer months from April to June and in the autumn season from September to November when the weather is pleasant, and the natural beauty is at its peak.
Before planning your trip to Pahalgam or any part of Kashmir, it’s essential to check for the latest travel advisories and safety guidelines, given the political situation in the region. Always prioritize your safety and stay informed about any travel restrictions that may be in place.