Gulmarg is a popular hill station and skiing destination located in the Baramulla district of Jammu and Kashmir, India. It is situated about 50 kilometers away from the capital city of Srinagar and lies in the Pir Panjal range of the Himalayas.
The name “Gulmarg” translates to “meadow of flowers,” and it is indeed a place of exquisite natural beauty. The town is surrounded by lush green meadows, dense forests, and snow-capped mountains, making it a paradise for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts alike.
Key attractions and activities in Gulmarg include:
- Gondola Ride: The Gulmarg Gondola is one of the highest cable cars in the world, offering breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape. It operates in two phases, taking visitors to Apharwat Peak, which is covered in snow for most of the year.
- Skiing and Snowboarding: Gulmarg is renowned for its winter sports, particularly skiing and snowboarding. The town attracts skiers from across the globe due to its excellent slopes and powdery snow.
- Khilanmarg: It is a beautiful meadow located close to Gulmarg, accessible by a short trek or horse ride. The place offers stunning views of the Nanga Parbat, the ninth highest peak in the world.
- Alpather Lake: Situated at the foot of the Apharwat Peak, Alpather Lake is a picturesque high-altitude lake. During winter, it freezes over, adding to the enchanting beauty of the area.
- Golfing: Gulmarg boasts one of the highest golf courses in the world, providing a unique golfing experience amid beautiful surroundings.
- Trekking: There are several trekking trails around Gulmarg that lead to scenic spots and charming villages, offering a chance to explore the region’s natural beauty up close.
- Photography: With its captivating landscapes, Gulmarg is a paradise for photographers, offering plenty of opportunities to capture stunning shots of nature.